New technology led to advanced piston-engine aircraft and new solutions were made available to the problems of navigation and air traffic control.
A few large airlines like TWA and Pan American continued to dominate. Air traffic grew steadily, as it reduced the travel time. Lower fares due to competition made air travel available to an increasing number of people and the flights' quality continued to improve gradually.
US railway had reached peak length between 1920 & 1930s.
- While airplanes contributed to a decline in rail travelers, automobiles made railways in the US virtually a museum piece.
- In 1955, for the first time, more people in the United States traveled by air than by train.
- By 1957 airliners had replaced ocean liners as the preferred means of crossing the Atlantic.
- The 60s saw decline of railways in the USA.
- For today's US children of most of the major US cities, railways (in the US the call it "rail road") can be seen in Museums only. For a 10 minute joy ride in rail coach drawn by a steam loco (that burns Furnace Oil instead of coal), they pay $10 (Rs 480/-).
- ----- V S Saxena. Any question? Please email me at